Anyhoo, I'm not trying to be preggers anytime soon, much to the chargin of great-grandparents, grandparents, aunties and uncles in-waiting. I still have this belief that once you start having children, your life is over. Well, not over over. But EVERYTHING you do would have to include your child(ren). I haven't gone to Greece, Bora Bora, Australia, my native New Zealand, etc and I'm not about to haul any babies around with me. My mum has graciously agreed to babysit though, so maybe little Berries and Cakes will come this time next year. I digress.
So BABY NAMES. Here's my thinking about baby names...
- They should be pretty (like Eleanor or Vanessa or Alexander or Kerendu or Kenenna). One of my friend's baby girl's name is Karis (means Grace). Isn't Karis pretty?!?!?!
- They should be spelled correctly! No Kourtneys or Khloes. Interestingly enough, I love the proper spellings of those names. It'd be nice to have a Baby Chloe or Courtney running around with flour and sugar in her hair!
- They should make sense! Believe it or not, Apple makes a lot of sense to me. Why? Because of the saying "You are the Apple of my eye." Apple is only applicable to a girl though. Pilot Inspektor, Jermajesty, Audio Science, North West make ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE! (Nori does though)
- If you're naming them after Biblical figures, please choose nice names and people that don't have baggage. That's why you don't see Jezebels and Delilah's running around. Although I think Delilah sounds pretty.
- Speaking of Biblical names, also look at the reason behind why the names were given in the first place. For instance, chances are that you know one or more people named Simeon. BUT Leah named him Simeon because "The Lord heard I was hated, and has given me another son" (ad-libbed). So why would anyone want to name their child Simeon? Even Reuben - "God has seen my misery and now my husband will love me." She named her sons out of misery and despair! Are you miserable?
Y'all have to feel bad for Leah sha. ALTHOUGH, at the end of the day, Jesus came from the line of Judah, who was Leah's son. Speaking of Judah, I don't know anyone with the name, but it's a perfect name because it means "I will praise the Lord."
- Baby names shouldn't attract bullies. Why on earth would a mother name her child Sha-Sha, prounounced SHA-DASH-SHA? That's utter wickedness. Be kind to your children. And what is IKnowMyRedeemerLiveth?! Why?! You couldn't translate it to your language?
Don't forget to nominate me for the following Nigerian Blog Awards - Best NEW, Best PERSONAL, Best Humour! The last day for nominations is on Sunday! Yaaaaaay, weekend is almost here, and thank God for the 2-day holiday next week!