Monday on Bella Naija, which I frequent frequently, Atoke's Monday Banter was about Bucket Lists. For anyone who doesn't know, a bucket list is a list of things you want to do before you die. It can be anything from climbing Mount Everest to meeting your dream celebrity crush! I don't have a Bucket List per se, but I had a Thirty List - 30 Things I Wanted to Do Before I Turned 30. Unfortunately, I only accomplished about 8 of them, but I thought it would be fun to share...
1) Go to Italy, Greece, France, and Spain
2) Fall in love and then get married - DONE, BUT NOT BEFORE 30.
3) Buy a house/condo
4) Make a pizza from scratch - DONE
5) Take a dance class – belly dance and ballroom
6) Live completely on my own – no parents, siblings, roommates, or husband - DIDN'T DO. BIG REGRET!!!
7) Invest in the stock market
8) Charity work – either Big Sister, or join a Reading Volunteer group
9) Participate in a marathon - DID A 5K ONCE. AND THEN HAD A 24-HR ASTHMA ATTACK.
10) Buy myself diamonds (earrings, necklace, ring or bracelet)
11) Learn how to turn a man down with grace as soon as I see it’s going nowhere - ERM...
12) Find a red lipstick that fits my skin tone - I THINK I HAVE? NOW LOOKING FOR PURPLE LIPSTICK
13) Write a poem
14) Learn how to braid hair
15) Learn how to sew, and maybe knit something! - I MADE A DRESS ONCE BUT NEVER WORE IT.
16) Find the balance between bitch and nice/stupid/naïve/wotever-you-wanna-call-it - BASICALLY, THERE WAS A TIME WHERE IT SEEMED LIKE I WAS TOO NICE AND TAKING NONSENSE FROM PEOPLE. I WANTED TO BE ABLE TO SPEAK OUT WHERE I NEEDED TO, FIRMLY AND POLITELY.
17) Get a "pin-up girl" type photo of myself that I’m proud to show off
18) Own a really nice piece of art – if I can’t make/draw/paint it myself
19) Learn how to play guitar - I LOST MY BOOK AFTER 2 DAYS. DISASTER.
20) Learn a second language (at this point, I think any Nigerian language is out of the question……….so Italian or French) - I ALREADY HAVE MINIMAL KNOWLEDGE OF BOTH AND SPANISH, SO I SHOULD RETRY
21) Understand that I don’t have to prove myself to anyone but moi
22) Have $30,000 sitting in an account somewhere
23) Make a full-length music video or get a bit part in a Nollywood-ish movie - I WAS DESMOND ELLIOTT'S SISTER FOR 2 MINUTES IN 'ART OF DECEPTION' See trailer here
24) Drive a SmartCar or Mini Cooper
25) Become CPR certified
26) Go parasailing
27) Go on a cruise - DONE. WOO HOO!!!
28) Get on a sail boat
29) Read Top 100 books
30) Watch Top 100 movies
I made this list in 2008 or 2009. Why on earth didn't I accomplish more of them??? Maybe I should have a 35 List now? Or a Top 10 before 35? Remember my 2013 Goals list from last year? I didn't complete them and it made me feel ashamed :(
I have another Goals list for this year, but I barely even remember it. I think it's time to print out several copies and post them all over my apartment, and keep the list on my phone so I can look at it everyday.
Do you have any lists?