I don't like to give bad reviews of places or products, but I will if my experience was bad. Well, yesterday evening, I had dinner with my Bloggirls aka Power Puff Girls at Cafe Maison in Lekki. We wanted somewhere quiet where we could have some wine, gist and eat something decent. Stylefash said she had been there a few times and that they had lovely wraps. So, I headed there at about 7pm. I was annoyed about something else already, so I looked forward to the outing. Here are my 10 reasons why it was 2,850 disasters!!!
- When I got there, Fash and Bex told me they'd been moved from the section by the windows, because the cafe needed to set up for an event coming up the next day. Fair enough... although, I don't see how/why they couldn't have done the set up (which was just 3 tables put together) after we left.
- Fash and I asked for glasses of red wine, and the waiter went off and came back saying they didn't have any wine. They had sparkling wine, which we didn't want, and asked for other options. We finally settled on Baileys, of which they had only individual-size bottles.
- The waiter went off and came back saying they only had 2 of those mini-Baileys. So three of us had to share them among ourselves. No biggie.
- At about 8:00pm, NEPA/PHCN took light and it took an hour before power was restored because...
- Cafe Maison DID NOT have diesel for their generator!!! I'm sorry but how does a restaurant not notice that their diesel is almost finished? What does it take for the manager to make sure that there is always a can of diesel, in case the generator runs out?
- We ordered our food maybe 5 minutes before NEPA struck (approximately 7:55pm) and the waiter said it would take 15 minutes for the food to be ready. How about our food came at 8:50pm, after we asked them where our food was, and because they still hadn't gotten the diesel, we had to start eating using candles and our phones' lights.
- Me: I would like a Tuscan Sausage Panini. Please make sure there is no cheese in it.
*after Bex and Fash ordered their food...*
Me: Please don't forget o. No cheese.
*50 minutes later in the dark, our food comes*
Me: This sandwich tastes funny. Shey there's no cheese in it?
Waiter: No, no cheese.
*douses panini in ketchup because there's something I don't like about the taste*
Me: Please can you confirm with the chef that there's no cheese.
*waiter goes to the kitchen and comes back*
Waiter: There's no cheese.
*not too long after, power is restored and I can see my sandwich clearly*
Me: Excuse me, can you go back to the kitchen and ask your chef if there's mozzarella in my food?*waiter goes to the kitchen and comes back*
Waiter: Yes, there's mozzarella in the sandwich.
*blank stare + rolling eyes + confusion + annoyed face + exasperation = BERRY*
In what world does a chef not know that mozzarella is cheese?!?!?!? If you said it was some random village somewhere, okay. BUT THIS IS LEKKI!!!!!!!!
- We all were very annoyed at this point, and said we wouldn't pay full price for the food because their service was terrible, the food order was wrong, and the one hour without light was stupid. They still brought a bill with the full price. After we raked a little, the manager said he would remove only N1000 from the bill!
- We explained that N1000 was not good enough. In fact, other good places might have said the drinks were on the house, or they would have removed the food item that they had gotten wrong. We told them to call the owner and explain, so we would see what he would do about it. They came back to say, the owner said they should take off 10% from the bill. Guess how much 10% came up to... a little over N1000!!!!!!!!!! *my wheel needed to be taken at that point*
- They eventually agreed to knock off N2000, and we decided among ourselves to split the bill evenly. The waiter brought the POS and stared at us when I told him how much we each were going to pay - N2850. He called his coworker and told him that we said we wanted to share the bill, and they brought out a calculator to figure out how much we were going to pay - the same N2850... DUH!!! I told you already!!!!!!
Stylefash was soooo upset and kept on apologizing for recommending the restaurant. I want to say that they had a simply, terribly OFF day, but I'm not sure. It was without a doubt, one of my worst dining experiences EVER!!!