A couple of days ago, I came across a video of a young Nigerian woman who lives in the US. She posted a video on Youtube, making it clear to anyone who watches, that she will not ever move back to Nigeria. I just want you to watch it, and then I'll share my thoughts.
- I will not comment on the fact that she said she's actively trying to shed her accent. Although, for the record, she still has some work to do because I CAN hear the Nigerian accent.
- I 100% agree that Nigeria has a JUSTICE problem. What is the point of having laws against bribery and corruption, if those laws will not be adhered to or enforced? Case in point, THE DAMN OKADAS are back in LAGOS!!! (I realize this is a very minor issue in the grand scheme of things)
- Truth be told, there was an internal argument going on in my head. One side was angry, because how dare she list only the problems Nigeria has? The other side of me wanted to melt into the ground with shame for Nigeria.
- If the main reason why she won't move back to Nigeria is because she wants to save orphans, then she's thoroughly missed the mark as there are orphans in Nigeria too, that might not be accessible from outside.
- I think some Nigerians (those who live in and like Nigeria) WILL get angry. However, the anger will be short-lived. Give it a month, and nobody will remember this video.
- America has its problems too (and no, PAYING TAXES is NOT a problem)
- I think Nigeria can change. But I'm not sure it can/will in my lifetime.
Those are my seven cents. What do you think?